6 Foods That Will Help You Sleep
In order to avoid laying in bed waiting for some miracle to happen that will help you fall asleep, check out these types of food that can help you get that extra rest.
- Cherries – Amazingly enough, cherries are one of few natural foods that contain Melatonin, the hormone that tells our body it is night time, and thus time for bed. In fact, research done in University of Pennsylvania has shown that drinking a glass of cherry juice could improve insomnia symptoms, and make you fall asleep faster.
- Rice – White rice, in addition to its comforting and tasty nature, has a high glycemic index, which can significantly decrease the time it takes you to fall asleep! More specifically, research published by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition discovered that eating jasmine rice results in falling asleep faster than eating other types of rice.
- Dairy – This recently controversial ingredient contains tryptophan and serotonin that could make sleep easier. So don’t be embarrassed, make yourself a nice cheese platter at the end of the day and feel fancy and sleepy!
- Cereal – Want to make that last tip even more effective? The carbs in cereal have shown to assist people in falling asleep. Combine that with milk, and you’ve got yourself a cozy and tasty combo! It’s important to remember, though, that too many carbs can make you feel heavy and not in a sleeping mode, so one bowl of cereal is probably enough to get you ready for bed.
- Sweet potato – This food has the best of everything. Not only does it provide you with complex carbohydrates, it also has muscle-relaxant potassium. And their delicious!
- Passion fruit Tea – Let’s end with a classic, shall we? Tea in general is extremely relaxing. Some, though, contains high levels of caffeine, which will make it harder for you to fall asleep. However, in passion fruit tea you can find Harman alkaloids- chemicals that relax your nervous system and make you tired, resulting in a more relaxed sleep.
Bon appétit, and sleep well!